Italian vernacular. This home was built around 1870 and shows elements of several architectural styles. The current owners purchased home in 2012 in condemned condition with a large hole in the roof and numerous animal occupants. Since then, there has been a complete restoration that involved saving original wood trim and other features where possible.
Farmhouse, 1850. The Goodsteins acquired this home in rather rough condition, and have done extensive remodeling and repair to the home. All the work has made this a charming and welcoming home for family and friends.
Federal. European and American antiques highlight this late Federal-style home built in 1850 by Marshall’s second physician Dr. John Montgomery. Purchased by the Collins in 1969, this home reflects the tastes of early Marshall settlers who came from upstate New York.
Gothic Revival. Dr. William Church built the house in 1873 in the Gothic Revival style. There have been several additions over the years including an expansion of the Great Room in the 1990s. The home is decorated with Victorian features.
Queen Anne. This Queen-Anne-style cottage was built in 1903 for less than $3,000 and remains virtually unchanged from its original form. Interesting features of the home include a fireplace in the foyer, distinctive interior woodwork and a kitchen that looks much like it did in 1945.
Greek Revival. This Greek Revival home, built circa 1835, was known to have two front doors. One faced the Territorial Road that is now Michigan Avenue. The other faced Mansion Street. The current owners have made extensive functional and decorative upgrades to the home since acquiring it in 1986.
Ranch. This midcentury ranch home was built in 1959, one of the first homes in this section of town. The original owner also owned the Bear Creek farm, and many of the home’s features are duplicates of the farm. It was on the Kitchen Tour in 1961, and the original plaque was found in the home’s kitchen while renovating.
St. Mary Catholic Church
St. Mary Church. This Gothic-style church was dedicated Oct. 27, 1899, after a year of construction. The first Catholic church on the site was built in 1852. Renovations to the building were made in 1969 and 1998. The stained glass windows are from the 1889 construction.
This site has been in continuous commercial use since about 1834. The Schnaitman family constructed the current building in 1901, and a meat market with a smokehouse was operated on site until about 1957. The Schnaitman family continues to own the building, and Ian Schnaitman moved Quality Engraving to this site in 2013.
Bayberry House Interiors
Bayberry House Interiors. This interior-design shop occupies the “Crary fragment” that may be the oldest structure in Marshall. Dating from 1834, it was used as a study and occasional living space for Isaac Crary, who became Michigan’s first congressman in 1837. The other part of the building was moved in the 1920s.
East End Gallery
EastEnd Studio and Gallery. The EastEnd Studio and Gallery relocated to the Wagner Block in 2012 when the ground floor was renovated to display the works of its growing number of member artists. The lower level was put into service last year. There are plans to turn the third-floor ballroom into meeting and recital space.
Marshall's Historic Home Tour has been going on for over five decades and is considered one of the best in the Midwest!
2015 dates TBA
Cost: 2015 cost TBA
Every September for more than fifty years, the Marshall Historical Society has offered an annual Historic Home Tour.
Often described as the best historic home tour in the Midwest, this annual event actually started in 1957 as a Kitchen Tour to raise funds for Marshall’s Trinity Church!
The Trinity Kitchen Tour ran from 1957 to 1963. During the first four years, the tour was held in May – typically on a weekday afternoon – and often included fashion shows. The tour moved to October in 1961 and then to September in 1962.
The first time the Trinity Kitchen Tour included historic homes was 1964. And by 1968 the Historic Home Tour had become so popular that the Guild Council of Trinity Church asked the Marshall Historical Society to take over managing the Historic Home Tour each year. And as the saying goes: The rest is history.
Each year the tour features six to eight historic homes, showcasing a diverse mix of architectural styles with construction dates ranging from the early 1800s to the mid-1900s.
This year - our 51st - we decided to return to our roots and featured one of the homes that was on the original Kitchen Tour.
In addition, we opened each of the following Marshall museums: the Honolulu House Museum, the G.A.R. Hall Museum, the Capitol Hill School Museum, the American Museum of Magic and Magic Library, the Governor’s Mansion, the United States Postal Museum, and the Gasoline Museum at the interurban depot. Also included on a rotating basis were some the area’s businesses located in historic buildings and our historic churches. This year (2014) the businesses will be the East End Gallery, Quality Engraving, and Bayberry House Interiors; as well as St. Mary Catholic Church.
The Calhoun County Fairgrounds were also included in the Home Tour, and included the site and buildings of one of the oldest country fairs in Michigan. Located on “Capitol Hill,” the fairgrounds are a beautiful and restful spot to visit during Home Tour. This year there was a craft show and harvest festival that was a delight for all who attended.
Among the beautifully restored buildings, the museums, the fairgrounds, the juried arts and crafts shows, carriage rides, wonderful hosts, and great food, there was fun for everyone. And did we mention the costumed Civil War Ball we held on Saturday night?
Isn’t Marshall where YOU want to be every year on the first weekend after Labor Day?!