History of Marshall
Due to its prime location, Marshall was set up for success when it was founded in 1830 by brothers Sidney and George Ketchum. To give you reference, Calhoun County was established in 1829 and Marshall was made the county seat in 1831. Most settlements at that time were founded for agricultural or industrial reasons, but the Ketchum brothers dreamed of a community of professional politicians, doctors, lawyers, and businessmen.
The town was named after Chief Justice John Marshall, who served as the fourth Chief Justice of the United States from 1801 to 1835. Marshall is regarded as one of the influential justices to ever sit on the Supreme Court. He helped implement the principle of separation of powers and cement the position of the American judiciary as an independent and co-equal branch of government. Of the more than 20 communities named for him, this Marshall is the only town that was named for him before his death.
The “Where History is Alive” video series consists of 30 short segments that have local people telling stories about the people, places or events that are subjects of the markers and monuments.