Historical Markers

Marshall’s Historical Marker Program was started in 1972 when the Michigan Historical Commission approved four new markers. Over the next 30 years, John Collins was responsible for getting additional markers approved until Bob Lowman took over for him in 2002.

 

Marshall now has 39 state-approved markers- only Detroit and Lansing have more.

Marshall Historical Marker Program

Reorganized in 2011 when the profits from the WE’RE IN THE MOVIES 1940 project were placed in a new Marshall Area Historical Marker Fund at the Marshall Community Foundation.

Just A Little History

When those funds were placed, a new partnership was formed, where the Marshall Historical Society is responsible for overseeing the marker program with a volunteer curator; the city of Marshall is responsible for installing new markers; and the Marshall Community Foundation maintains the new fund and accepts new donations.

It takes time to get approval for a new historical marker. A detailed application needs to be completed with several types of documentation along with an application fee.  If the proposed marker is approved, it is then produced by Sewah Studios in Marietta, Ohio.  A new marker costs the local applicant $2,000 but the state of Michigan retains ownership of the marker.